DORA Information for
City of Delaware Downtown Business Owners
Delaware City Council voted on October 23, 2017 to establish a Designated Outdoor Refreshment
Area (DORA) in the downtown. A DORA is just that, a designated public area where alcoholic
beverages can legally be consumed. In Delaware's case, this will allow for the consumption of beer
and wine (no spirituous liquor) during special events only. Special events are defined as events
that require an event permit from the City of Delaware. It will be up to the event organizer to
determine if the event will be a DORA event.
What a DORA Allows
Licensed liquor establishments in the designated area may sell beer and wine during the event that
can be carried out of their establishments in specially marked cups.
Sandusky Street, from Spring Street to Central Avenue, and on William and Winter streets, from
Franklin Street to Union Street.
The event organizer is required to notify downtown business and property owners if the special
event is to have a DORA included. This information is also on the City of Delaware’s website
Licensed Liquor Permit Holders
- Specially marked cups will be used by the qualifying liquor permit holders
- Standard blue plastic cup (American Party Cup) not to exceed 16 oz.
- Each cup will have two self-adhesive stickers (no less than 1"; x 1.75") on opposite sides of the cup that clearly identifies where the drink was purchased (i.e. the name or logo of the establishment)
- Only wine or beer may be served in the cups to leave the establishment
- Participation in the DORA program is optional to liquor permit holders
- Liquor permit holders have all the same responsibilities that they normally have. Do not assume that the DORA host assumes any of these liabilities or responsibilities. This includes not allowing liquor from other establishments into your establishment. Pleas refer to your permit and liability guidelines.
- Control, rights and responsibility of your establishment remain intact. If you chose not to have alcohol brought into your business, you may post a sign stating that. This is no different than a sign prohibiting food and drink or proper attire.
There is information on the City website at delawareohio.net. Enter "DORA" in the search bar. You
can also phone 740-203- 1010 or email email@example.com